Sunday, August 30, 2015

Travelling in a fried-out Kombi

I've just started a new book called "Disgrace" by J.M. Coetzee and came across this line:
"There is an old VW kombi packed in the driveway."
Which immediately evoked the Men at Work song "Down Under":
"Travelling in a fried-out Kombi, on a hippie trail, head full of zombie."
So, of course, I went on the Internet and found out the "kombi" is the Volkswagon "Type 2" which we here in America call the "Microbus", the Brits call a "Camper" but elsewhere is called the "Kombi."


The Coetzee book is set in South Africa and the song "Down Under" is (of course) from Australia.



The more you know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this vintage car! I'm wondering if it has air-con, because here in the picture it looks too old for this. I like your blog, keep it up :)
Best regards.